Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Most Important Meal of the Day...

My husband is quite often on (and off) the Atkins diet.  He's recently gone South Beach now that I've convinced him that there's nothing unhealthy about fruit. 

Breakfast is a tough one around here.  Both of us like to sleep until the last minute possible before having the great "who has to shower first" debate.  We have two bathrooms, mind you.

Before I was pregnant, I usually boiled a couple dozen eggs at a time, and we each had boiled eggs for breakfast.  Pregnancy has given me a boiled egg aversion... so I had to solve the great "what to make for breakfast that is marginally healthy and isn't an onion bagel" dilemma.

Solution:  a veggie frittata.

I had no idea what a frittata was.  I still don't know if it is spelled correctly.  Blogger says the word doesn't exist.  But I'd basically call it a crust-less quiche.

There's lots of techniques, thoughts, etc on the Internet.  Basically I was looking for something that is vegetable-packed, doesn't involve my washing the iron skillet, that I can cook and refrigerate on Sunday night, and reheats well through the week.  Here's what I came up with:

1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/3 white onion, finely chopped
6-7 mushrooms
handful of baby spinach, shredded
1 Roma tomato
6 eggs (or one carton of egg-beaters)
1/2 cup of finely shredded cheese of your choice (I use cheddar)
salt, pepper, basil

Melt butter in a pan over medium heat.  Add white onion and mushrooms, and saute until onions are clear.  Add spinach, and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook together for another 2 minutes and take off the heat.

Beat 6 eggs with fork, and add a dash of milk, and salt, pepper to taste.  Add 1/2 tsp of basil, veggie mixture, finely chopped tomato, and cheese.

Mix together and pour into a lightly Pam-ed ceramic dish.  (I use my pie pan).

Cook on 375 for 25 minutes or until middle is set. 

Allow 5 minutes to cool and either serve, or store in pieces for breakfast through the week.

Voila.  Happy husband starting his day with some veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment